J&L Green Tomato and Ginger Chutney
- In a 3 litre capacity saucepan add tomatoes, onions, ginger, raisins, sultanas, sugar and vinegar.
- Place herbs and spices in a square of muslin [or similar-style material], draw-up and tie securely creating a small bag. Add to tomato mixture.
- Bring gently to boil, stirring occasionally, reduce heat to a simmer and simmer gently, uncovered stirring occasionally for 1 hour or until thick.
- Meanwhile: sterilise jars and closures.
- Remove spice and herb bag and discard.
- Carefully fill hot sterilised jars and seal. When cooled remember to label and date.
Delicious eaten straight away, however, the flavours mellow if stored in a dark, dry cupboard for up to one (1) month.
Delicious with cold meats, hot or cold pickled meats, pork pies or similar and cheese.
This recipe can be doubled, the cooking time increases to 1½ to 1 1/3 hours about. The chutney is not quite as thick, but equally delicious. Makes 2.25 litres, about.
A standard Australian Metric 250mL cup & 20mL tablespoon measuring sets are used
The New Zealand Metric tablespoon measure = 15mL or 3 teaspoons